Monday, May 26, 2014

Rocky Mountain Highs & Lows

Estes Park, Colorado 8,200 Feet
Our trip to the Colorado Christian Writers Conference in the Rocky Mountains turned out to be quite an adventure. Your prayers for my altitude adjustment were answered since I only had a slight case of nausea for about 24 hours after arrival. However, Charles suffered enough for both of us. Because he was so sick, we decided to cut the final day from the conference schedule and head back down to a lower 5,200 feet in Denver in the hopes he would feel better. Instead we ended up in the Estes Park Emergency Room with a doctor prescribing a forty mile ambulance ride down the mountain. Charles oxygen levels were dangerously low and his lungs were filling with fluid. The decision was made to admit him to the Cardiac care unit at the Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland, CO. After three days and numerous tests of his heart and lungs, the doctors determined he had no serious problems. Lots of oxygen and diuretics helped to stabilize him. We were both so exhausted after his release we stayed an extra day at a motel to rest up before catching a plane on Wednesday for Atlanta. 

Charles' Hospital Feet
It’s scary being so far away from home when there is a medical emergency. We are so thankful for the kind folks at the writers’ conference who helped pack our suitcases, got Charles into the car, and led us to the ER. The medical attention at the ER and hospital was top notch and the folks at the motel were also very helpful. 

I was able to attend the better part of two days of workshops. The classes on the art and craft of writing fiction were excellent. All my notes and handouts will be just what I need if and when I write the novel that is in my head. I met with three acquisition editors and they gave me some good pointers on how to get started on my book. At least 75,000 words will have to be written before I can present a book proposal for consideration. That sounds like a daunting task. Another highlight of my week was meeting novelist, Tracie Peterson. I've probably read a dozen of her books. She writes the kind of historical fiction that I wish I could write. Charles, on the other hand, never dropped his fishing line in the water. 

Life has a way of throwing us curve balls when we least expect them. I was so concerned about getting sick, I didn't even think about Charles having an issue. Last fall after our vacation in Florida, I was admitted to the hospital with cellulitis. We have decided that vacations are highly overrated. We are ready to get back to work and normal living at least until the next vacation bug bites. My pastor reminded me that our “adventurous” trips provide  fuel for future blog posts. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Wow and whew! Think I lost my breath just reading about your ordeal. And to think I was going to ask if you got into any of that hail they had out there. Sounds like you had your own personal hail storm, but God is good. And you are back in your own home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure know how to handle the 'curve balls" that come your way, but your Middle Sis is so glad you are back home. I didn't know you met Tracie Peterson, definitely one of my favorite Christian writers. I have read almost all her books & fell in love with all the characters in her series novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the only comment worth writing here is... GOD IS SO GOOD! SO FAITHFUL TO HIS CHILDREN! SO RIGHT ALL THE TIME! May we get to know Him better with each opportunity to trust Him more whether we understand His thinking or not. Isa. 55:8,9
    And it helps me to remember Ps. 139:17 "How precious are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!" Love from Carleen and Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you didn't get sick but sorry Charles had such a bad time. Relieved he doesn't have a serious condition and that you are back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you both got back home safe and sound. What an experience to go through.

    ReplyDelete