Monday, June 30, 2014

All in the Family

Family connections are important and I eagerly anticipate times of reunion with my scattered kin. This past week we gathered together to remember my brother-in-law, Curt Whaley, who died after a short battle with cancer. The funeral was held in Pensacola, Florida at the Naval Chapel and National Cemetery. Afterwards we gathered at the Officer’s Club to share remembrances and to reconnect with one another. 

I became reacquainted with great nephews and nieces who I haven’t seen in years and was pleased to discover how mature they have become. I was also surprised to discover how much we had in common. I had heard rumors there was a multi-generational interest in writing on my sister’s side of the family. Much to my delight, I spoke to a great-niece and a great-nephew who are pursuing careers in writing. Tommy just graduated from college and will teach research writing to high school seniors. Kathryn studies journalism in college and wants to pursue a career writing for newspapers and magazines.

In recent months, my youngest son Michael shared with me his renewed interest in writing. I have yet to read any of his work, but he wants to attend my writers’ group with me. His daughter, 10-year old Alexa, also likes to write and puts her skills in practice creating notes and cards.

Writing is at times a very solitary pursuit. It’s just you and your notepad or computer. At times you feel inspired and creative and at other times, it’s an effort to find the right combination of words for that blog or story. My family members have an advantage over me. They found their passion to write much earlier in life and will have many more opportunities to learn the craft and put pen to paper and hand to computer. But just maybe my writing experiences will encourage them to not waste the days God has given them. They didn't ask me for words of wisdom or advice about writing.  But if they did, I would be tempted to share the words of the Apostle Paul from Colossians 3:23, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters…”

British author, Neil Gaiman put it another way,

“This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after
another until it’s done. It's that easy, and that hard.”


Knowing that other family members share my passion and struggle provides great motivation to get busy writing my next book.

2 comments:

  1. How fun is that!!! and I do love Col. 3:23! Keep up the gooooood work, Frieda dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading your work. Get back to that next book girl.

    ReplyDelete