Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Remains of the Day

Why is it a surprise to wake up the day after Christmas and be a little overwhelmed by the remains of the day? So much effort and preparation has gone into making a holiday to remember, the ordinary things of life have been neglected. Now it’s time to “face the music.” I have yet to figure out how people have enough time and energy to rush to the after Christmas sales. I've seen enough malls and stores to last awhile. However, I am tempted to visit online stores and spend my gift cards. But first I must deal with household clutter, leftover food, and paperwork. I tell myself it will be easier to tackle the unpleasant if I dwell on all the joyful and fun events of the past few weeks.

Then I remember, there are only five days left in the month of December and the beginning of the New Year. Writing my last blog post of the year suddenly seems much more important that cleaning up all the clutter. So I back away from the broom and mop and try to get my creative juices flowing.

The lead up to the holidays started on Veteran’s Day weekend when Frieda’s son and family came from Toronto, Canada for a pre-Thanksgiving visit. Since the Canadian school holidays are different than ours, we had to celebrate earlier than usual. Did you know that the Veteran’s Day sales are as good as Black Friday sales? We ate and shopped until I dropped. During the next few weekends we had visits from my nieces and grandchildren from Charles’ side of the family. At Thanksgiving, Frieda’s college-age granddaughter came to visit. More shopping, cooking, and eating concluded with the realization there were only 28 days until Christmas. And you know the rest of the story – four more weeks of shopping, cooking, and eating. 

The remains of the day are looking pretty good right now. The leftovers mean I have at least a two day reprieve from cooking; the household clutter will eventually be put in order and I have a warm, comfortable house to keep it in. The receipts will get organized and there is enough money to pay the bills. Soon all of that will be history, but the warm glow from being with family and friends will last long after the ball drops on New Year’s Eve.



Thanks for following my blog “Two Late Bloomers” this past year. As I enter my third year of posting, I continue to be challenged to write fresh and interesting material. Your feedback is always appreciated. My goal is to do more writing in 2015. What’s on your agenda for the New Year?

3 comments:

  1. On our daily agenda... caring for my sweet MOTHER! She is precious and learning to cope with her limitations just as we are. We are following up on her ministries in this part of Brazil since the 50's. You witness to one, lead him to the Savior and he introduces you to another needy soul. It takes us months to see results and then comes the discipleship of each one. Pray that we will disciple faithful men and women who will reproduce themselves. So Mother has her 100th birthday coming up in March... Exciting for us and for the many who know and love her. Carleen & Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a busy Thanksgiving and Christmas with family and friends! I'm tired just reading about all your adventures! The New Year will find me down sizing all my "stuff" around the house. That should keep me good and busy for awhile! God bless your New Year, Frieda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete