Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Reasons to Celebrate



The month of May provides me with many opportunities to celebrate life.

We just returned from a whirlwind trip to Memphis, Tennessee where Charles met with sixteen other graduates from the Whitehaven Class of 1948 for their 70th reunion. Lots of stories were shared about the original class of 134. The lives of the students were greatly impacted by the Great Depression and the onset of World War II, and although too young to serve, did their part on the home front. May 8 is V-E Day when the Nazi’s surrendered and the war in Europe came to an end. Those who served and those on the home front built their lives around faith, family, and friendships forged during those crucial years.



On May 12, I will celebrate my 20th liver-versary. No one could have convinced me in 1998 that I would be alive to write about my transplant twenty years later. I’d been too sick for too long. But by the Grace of God and gift of modern medicine, here I am with many good years still ahead. As I wrote in my book, Born Three Times—A New Life, A New Liver, A New Love, “I’ll always be grateful to a family of strangers who decided to donate their loved one’s organs in their time of great loss.” My goal has been to make that sacrifice worthwhile while living a life that honors their memory and honors God.


Mother’s Day is this coming Sunday. I am a blessed mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. My life is so much richer because of my two sons and Charles’ son and daughter who treat me like a Mom.  Raising Stuart and Michael was challenging because of our health issues. I was sick with liver disease during their later childhood, and both boys inherited auto-immune issues that they still live with today. All three of us have become faith-filled survivors because of our experiences with poor health. Many of my five granddaughters, four grandsons, and four great-grandchildren live in other states and times together are too few and very special.

Six years ago this month, I started this blog with a desire to connect on social media through short, inspirational articles for people of all ages and especially senior adults. This is blog post #142. Since inception, my blog has been viewed by almost 34,000 people in many countries and all continents. I’m thankful for all of you who take time to read my musings.  Your encouragement is what keeps me writing.

A verse from Psalm 16:11 sums up what is in my heart during this month of celebrations.

“You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”


3 comments:

  1. Dear Frieda, You give me hope for my dear brother who is awaiting a liver transplant. It appears, though, that he seems to be improving, even though the doctor told him not to expect to feel better because his liver is completely shot. I believe God is doing something supernatural here. I am getting excited. I will keep you posted. Love Judy Parrott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog each month. Sometimes I get busy and don't have the time to reply, but I do read and enjoy. Congratulations on 20th Liveranniversary and on Charles 70th Class reunion. Wow on both counts. Miss you Frieda

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always I love to read your post. I still stand amazed at Gods perfect timing in your life & of course each of us!
    Miss u wish we had more time to spend together. Thanks for calling me friend!

    ReplyDelete