Thursday, July 5, 2012

Around To It vs. Just Do It

In 1964, the “Round Tuit” disk was introduced at the New York World’s Fair. In 1988, NIKE added the phrase “Just Do It” to its trademark swoosh to promote its athletic gear.

I am finally ready to quit going around in circles. Today I am putting on my running shoes and taking a giant step toward publishing my memoir. Writing the story of my life took over five years of off and on again effort. At first my “Round Tuit” mentality was definitely in charge, as I let the demands of life interfere with my desire to write. Then I started writing stories and anecdotes from childhood and storing them in my computer. Two years ago, I began compiling those bits and pieces and filling in the blanks. At first my memoir was to be a gift to my children and grandchildren telling the story of God’s grace in allowing me to survive and thrive in the midst of life’s difficulties. After a thorough critique and edit of my manuscript by a fellow writer, I realized that my story has wider appeal. My book languished on a shelf while my insecurities grew. I was back in “Round Tuit” mode. Since it is very difficult for a first time author to find a traditional publisher I was stuck, until I realized that to reach my goal, I will have to self-publish. After talking with several on-demand book publishers, I decided to “Just Do It.”  Inspiring Voices, a division of Guidepost magazine, is now working with me to publish both a paperback and e-book.

See future blog posts about my publishing journey and my story:

Born Three Times
It Took a Lifeline and a Lifetime to Find a New Life, New Liver, and New Love

9 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled that you're taking this step. I'm inspired by your tenaciousness. Keep going girl. God is definitely in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing!! Can't wait for the future posts...I'm sure your story will be an inspiration to many. There are many of us who travel through life with that "round tuit" mentality. Thanks for your challenging words!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frieda...this will be a great book, I cannot wait to read it. Do not hesitate,we never know why we are called to do something, but I am sure God has a plan for this book. You go girl and do not fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry!! Your book will reach the heart of many. I am glad there are many helping me encourage you. Remember Paul's words; "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me."

      Delete
  4. Go girl! Your life is proof of God's grace, love and perfect timing. There are people who understand this but a whole world needing to hear and understand these words. God just calls for your obedience the rest he will handle however he sees fit. Love and cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You are an inspiration. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am delighted that you have entered the "just do it" mode with publishing your book. Now I can hardly wait until it's ready for your devoted following to read and enjoy. Lorraine Roote

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like I'm just one of many that are anxious to read this book that is one its way to being published! You're truly an inspiration, Frieda! I am blessed to know you. Thank you for sharing your life with others. We are richer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frieda,
    I can't wait to read it. I know it will be inspirational.

    ReplyDelete