Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Old Gray Mare

It’s no mystery to me why I was resistant to having gray hair. In my childhood, I heard my mother frequently quote the old folk song, “Oh, the old gray mare she ain’t what she used to be, she ain’t what she used to be…”  She used the words to refer to a horse or a woman who was past her prime. It was also a way of describing herself as too tired to perform an unpleasant household task that she assigned to me.
I never knew what was beneath the light brown that colored my hair until I was forced by a scalp condition to give up my monthly fix. With fear and trembling I watched my hair change from ash brown to mousy gray, until a glorious mop of white hair emerged and changed my whole outlook on life. Strangers stopped me on the street to comment on my beautiful hair, friends said I looked younger. Just maybe “the old gray mare” was better than she used to be. 
It is sometimes hard for senior adults to embrace change, but it is usually the best thing that can happen to us. We never know what exciting opportunities are just around the corner. Proverbs 16:31 tells us “The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness.” (NKJV) We can’t turn back the hands of time, so we should embrace all that God has in store for us. We might be in for a pleasant surprise. If you are curious, click on the Meet the Bloomers link at the top of this blog to see Charles with his “new gray mare.”

7 comments:

  1. I think your hair is beautiful and is truly a Crown of Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbie,your beautiful hair matches your beautiful life. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very youthful and you wear that crown with grace. I am enjoying your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put, Frieda. I concur with the others who have complimented your new, natural, becoming look! Looking forward to the next chapter in your blog as they just keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We earned the gray why not flaunt it. The new look is great. Embrace age with excitement and humor. It is the only way to go!!
    Keep up the good work.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good genes Frieda. I have been wearing the crown for quite some time now and I am just fine with it. I bet you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's an old saying,"There may be snow on the mountain, but there's still fire in the belly." That describes the two of you. Halley

    ReplyDelete