What’s tall, colorful, and gyrates wildly to get your attention as you drive down the road and silently says “Look My Way”?
An Inflatable Air Dancer
These vinyl creations are most often used to lure customers into a retail store or car dealership. But vineyards and gardens are sometimes decorated with these sky puppets in order to repel birds and four footed creatures that like to eat the fruit and plants.
There are days when I identify with the wacky waving tube man. In recent weeks, I’ve been pulled from one event to another. Circumstances and situations constantly required me to change gears or change hats. And there is no end in sight. But I have discovered some spiritual and practical lessons as I’ve observed my air dancing friend.
- It’s easy to ignore my surroundings. Just as I drive without ever seeing the stores on the side of the road, am I also failing to observe people and their needs? Unless someone grabs my attention like my air dancer friend, I’m content to stay in my own little world. I need to be attuned to the spirit that tells me to interact with folks I meet each day..
- Life is full of twists and turns and I often flail about on my own trying to get my balance. I stay that way until I realize that I am not in charge of the circumstances of my life. If I have done my best, I need to trust God to handle the rest. “So he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.” Zechariah 4:6.
- Like the tube man, keep on smiling. Everyone knows my mood by my face. I’m not very good at hiding my feelings. I want to be spiritually uplifting to people who are probably having a tough day too and a smile is a good way to start.
- Be more flexible—physically & emotionally.
- Limit sticking my fingers into too many pies.
- Go with the flow.
- Relax when I have a bad hair day.
- Strive to be that skinny again.
Even an inanimate object like an air dancer can teach us important lessons about life.
Click on this YouTube link to see air dancers in action.