Sunday, August 19, 2012

More Than One Way to Fly

Every time a plane flies over, my late bloomer husband, Charles looks to the skies. He can even recognize an airplane by the sound it makes as it passes over. I see a wistful look in his eye and hear a longing in his voice to once again be “pilot in command.”  But since starting his own company to develop devices to improve aircraft flying qualities, there has been little time to pursue his flying passion.
 
With a second retirement not too far in the future, he has discovered a new hobby–fly fishing. This more down to earth pastime can be just as demanding of time and energy. I have been told that one or more fly rods, fly reels, dry flies, fly lines, and fly boxes are all necessities for the sport and that fly casting and fly tying are necessary skills. This man was born to FLY.  It’s equally important to him to learn all the culinary tastes of various kinds of trout so they will be tempted to grab the fly on the line. As you can see, waders, boots, and a waterproof vest are also vital pieces of equipment as well as the perfect fishing hat. I wish I could say I share his love of stomping around in the woods, rivers, and creeks, looking for the ideal spot to cast a line. But since I don’t want him to venture into the woods alone, I am usually seated somewhere nearby swatting the flying insects that like to inhabit that environment.
 
I have also been put on notice that once Charles’ retirement is a reality, he intends to complete his bucket list by transforming our basement workshop into a hangar, so that he can build a light sport aircraft. Before he reaches the day that God calls him home, he plans to climb aboard that homebuilt airplane, soar above the clouds, and make a picture-perfect landing. Charles’ determination to pursue his dreams is fueled by two things—his blessing of good health plus his favorite Bible verse. “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).  

4 comments:

  1. What a handsome guy in his fishing gear. I guess we can't expect a N.Y. gal to like stomping in the woods with the bugs. I love the woods but the bugs seem to over love me. Maybe I will start trying to cast in the front yard again. That fly reel doesn't seem to cast for me like a regular reel. Keep on keeping on!!
    Al. girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the things that seem to give us longevity are a love of life and a desire and willingness to enjoy that life with a hobby. Sounds like Charles has found the perfect recipe. Keep your wings in the air Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet Charles has you "fly" fishing before long. You did forget the flight when God calls all His children home. BB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Frieda
    Fly fishing as taught by my Dad , not until 2005, because girls didn't do that when I was being raised, is o e of the most amazing, peaceful past times I have ever found. My sadness is not having shared this experience until what was Dads last fly fishing experience back where he learn in his hometown of Butke, NY. You must try it at least once with Charles, I think you will find it to be a very soul filling experience. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete