Friday, January 4, 2013

Take if Off -- Put it On


Two people that I admire and whose counsel I seek gave me some good advice recently. My doctor advised me “to taste, but not eat” and my pastor spoke to my heart when he told me “what to wear in the New Year.” If I want to continue “blooming” during 2013, I need to follow their wise words.
An unknown author once said, “People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas.” 
OK, the holidays are over and it is time for me to get with the program. I’ve spent way too much time this past year, sitting at my computer, writing my book, and munching along the way. I never knew that writing is fattening. My memoir, Born Three Times, is published and now I have to get moving to undo the weight gain. My doctor’s advice doesn’t eliminate any food group (I like that part), but is all about portion control—in other words Self-Discipline which is a challenge for me. I have three months to get some weight off and my blood pressure back to normal. It’s a good thing I like lots of veggies and feathers and fins—chicken and fish. I need all the encouragement and support I can get, so please comment below if you are willing to join me in streamlining your body during 2013. 
New Year’s resolutions can be overwhelming, so how about thinking of a daily resolution? I recently found a quote by Henry Moore that speaks to me. He said, “I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's.” My pastor put flesh on that quote during last Sunday’s sermon. His message was from Colossians 3:12-14. 
            “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
It seems overwhelming to clothe myself with those seven virtues, unless I put them on one by one. Seven virtues—Seven days; one virtue each day that I can pray for. I can do that!
Sunday – compassion
Monday – kindness
Tuesday – humility
Wednesday – gentleness
Thursday – patience
Friday – forgiveness
Saturday - love 

My goal is to be the person God wants me to be in 2013. In order to do that, I need to care for both my physical and spiritual health. Consider joining me in this venture.
My book Born Three Times-A New Life, A New Liver, A New Love is available to purchase from several different sources. Please see the How to Order tab at the top of my blog for more information.

 

5 comments:

  1. I like that concept - seven days, seven virtues. It does seem much more doable that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for encouraging us in the RIGHT direction, Frieda. We are learning to remove those ugly works of the flesh and PUT ON the needful clothing to bring proper glory to our loving Lord. So important... not optional for any of us who love Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate New Year's resolutions but I like the idea of practicing the seven virtues. Something to think about and apply in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very inspirational Frieda. Oh by the way, I read the book, cover to cover, I loved it, didn't want it to end.
    I think a better way to weigh in is to think about the relationship we have with food.
    Instead of living to eat, we should eat to live.
    I like the idea of the virtues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Developing better and healthier eating habits is always a goal of mine. I have several ways that I tackle this problem. The best one is that I do all of my own cooking rather than eating out on a regular basis. It is easy to overeat and be tempted when you eat out. I also enjoy cooking. One thing that I've found helpful if you have an iphone or an ipad is the app called LoseIt! You can track your food/calories each day and see how close you are to your ideal calorie count. I wish you much success!

    ReplyDelete