Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Four Legs or Four Wheels


I am learning there is more than one way to travel through life. Why take the easy way when there is adventure around every corner? While we were in LA (Lower Alabama), our friends invited us to experience a bit of the local culture. The choices were to go horseback riding or ride through the woods on a four-wheeler ATV. My adventurous husband immediately chose to experience all the thrills and smells of a snorting horse. My more sedate lifestyle, as well as allergies to animal dander and hay, sent me running in the opposite direction to the vehicle with four wheels closer to the ground.  
While Charles was gently trotting around the horse track at a leisurely pace, I calmly mounted the passenger seat behind my friend, Erin. The next thing I knew we were flying over ruts and puddles, and dodging low hanging tree branches. I didn’t know I would be the one riding a bucking bronco on four wheels. Look closely and you can see Erin’s hair flying as we sped through the gate toward the finish line. I let go of her jacket long enough to show off for the camera.

 
Isn’t life like that? The things we fear usually give us the least trouble. Then, the things we don’t think about being a problem rise up and present us with a challenge. This roller coaster we call “Life” is full of many twists and turns which we call “life stressors.” I am the first to admit I am not the best person to handle stress. Research on aging tells us the ability to handle stress in a healthy manner contributes to longevity. When I am thrown a curve ball I have to constantly rely on God’s presence in my life so that I will not fret and worry about things that I can' t control.
 Good advice for all of us as we ride through life.

4 comments:

  1. Very good choice, Sis! We share the same inability to handle stress and I,like you, have to rely totally on the Lord's Presence. Keep on with your great writing. Hope I can get this comment published as you taught me how to do it in Fairhope, AL. Your Middle Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Frieda, the roller coaster can be very stressful, how could any of us cope with this without knowing God is in control and whatever He takes us to, He will take us through. I hope you will always write, you are a very talented woman and your material always sings to our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun read about a wild ride with "dare devil Erin!" You made the application to life very clear...thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm constantly amazed by your new found adventurous nature. You have my admiration. You're right. Life is like a roller coaster ride. I never need God more than when I'm on one. Which is most of the time.

    ReplyDelete