Monday, January 25, 2016

The Power of One Word

As a writer I love words. Lots of them! When joined together in powerful sentences and paragraphs, words tell great stories and provide inspiration. Two of my writer friends inspired me to think about the power of ONE WORD. In my last blog post I wrote about how I wanted to simplify my life this year and find joy and contentment in accomplishing small things. I am intrigued to think that one word could change my life. I decided accept the challenge and choose ONE WORD to live by in 2016.

My online research led me to a book entitled My One Word written by Mike Ashcraft, senior pastor at Port City Community Church in Wilmington, NC. Instead of sweeping resolutions that disappear by the end of January, Ashcraft says that choosing one word will help us concentrate on accomplishing something instead of a lot of nothing. I also discovered a blog by Margaret Feinberg entitled One Word in which she encourages people to choose one word to study and meditate on during 2016. 

It took me a couple of days to narrow my focus to just one word. My writer friends chose the words “Confidence” and “Flourish.” All sorts of other words drifted through my mind—all of them perfectly good words—just not for me at this time in my life. I finally settled on a word for 2016 that has the potential to change my thinking and my actions. Here it is!

STEADFAST

According to the Miriam Webster Dictionary my word is defined as: “very devoted or loyal to a person, belief, or cause: not changing” Those that know me might say that word already describes me.Yes, I can be opinionated and passionate about what I believe. My area of struggle is in my thinking and about keeping my mind focused on the positive in each situation. I picked this Bible verse for 2016, because it describes exactly what I need in my life—the ability to find peace in every chaotic and stressful situation that I will face this year.

“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 NIV

There will be plenty of challenges — personal and family health problems, the roller coaster stock market, endless delays in our aircraft business, and the inevitable unexpected events that can turn life on a dime.

Are you up to taking the ONE WORD challenge in 2016?  

If so I would love to hear from you. If you choose to comment at the end of this blog and you use the Anonymous designation, please add your name at the end of your comment so we can pray for each other’s journey.You can also email me at friedas@bellsouth.net to let me know the word you have chosen. To help you get started, here are the two links I referenced above that will give you additional information and motivation.




What is your ONE WORD for 2016?

4 comments:

  1. A very thought-provoking challenge, Frieda! A composite list of all the words chosen would be very interesting. My word for every year, not just 2016, is optimism. I think of every day as a chance and a challenge to to find hope and goodness all around me and in the things I see and do. Optimism always allows me to make it through both the best of times and the worst with courage and confidence.

    Beth E. F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is "surprise". So far God has already surprised me with a great conference this weekend and yesterday found out my stepdaughter is pregnant! She's had 2 invitro's that didn't take and her husband has had two procedures. We are so grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word this year and every year for the past 10 has been
    THANKFUL
    I find that this word gives me peace no matter what is happening in my world. When I am THANKFUL in all things, I am always OPTIMISTIC that God will SURPRISE me again with his STEADFAST love that will meet all my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very thoughtful and well written blog. Thanks for the links as I ordered Ashcraft's book for my e-reader. Right now, I think my one word is "listen". As my eyesight diminishes, this word-defined as attending with the ear-has so many facets. Just in saying it, I can see so many spiritual and practical applications. Much love-Audrey Ann

    ReplyDelete