Monday, October 10, 2016

Escape to the Mountains



Every October like a siren call, the small cities and towns of North Georgia beckon me to explore their beauty and bounty. It doesn’t take much convincing for me to escape the traffic and congestion of metro Atlanta and head north to see the changing leaves and breathe the refreshing air of Fall.



WinShape
Conference Center
In late September, I visited the rolling hills of Rome, Georgia and the Chick-Fil-A WinShape Conference Center in the Appalachian Piedmont. The conference center on the campus of Berry College is located on the former dairy farm of the college. The dairy was constructed in the early 1900’s to teach farming skills to the isolated students of the region.  Each barn was built to resemble the architecture of the French countryside. Careful restoration converted the brick and tile dairy barns into meeting places and hotel-type accommodations. I was raised in cow country in Northern New York, but I wasn’t brought up in a barn nor did I ever spend the night in one. But I finally got to do just that and what a delight it was.

The purpose for our visit was to attend a writer’s workshop that focused on writing narrative non-fiction. Both Charles and I received great instruction and ideas for enriching his life story, Chasing a Whirlwind.  We came home with enthusiasm ready to tackle the rest of his book. The beauty and serenity of that place will stick with us for months to come.

On my next venture into the mountains I headed with my friend, Libby, to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and the quaint town of Blue Ridge, Georgia. We ate a delicious lunch before checking out all the gift and boutique shops lining Main Street.  Stores with their colorful fall—and Christmas—decorations were a reminder that the holidays are just around the corner.  We visited a roadside produce stand and were amazed at the beautiful displays of pumpkins, gourds, and flowers.  I never knew pumpkins came in so many shapes, colors, and varieties. 


We couldn’t resist stopping at the Panorama Farm Market in Ellijay before hitting the Interstate and heading home. A cold drink of complimentary apple cider and a sample of a variety of fresh apples and deserts was a perfect way to end our day at the “Apple Capital of Georgia.”

The Psalmist best expressed the spiritual refreshment that comes from a visit to the mountains.

“I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.”  Psalm 121:1-2 (KJV)

I hope that each of you will experience a mountain moment during this beautiful season of the year.


6 comments:

  1. Even though I live in Florida this time of year I do start thinking about the mountains and the color that I was blessed to live around for a few years. It is breath taking. Thank you for that passage, I have been looking for just that one for about a week now. Love you have a bountiful harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I live in Florida this time of year I do start thinking about the mountains and the color that I was blessed to live around for a few years. It is breath taking. Thank you for that passage, I have been looking for just that one for about a week now. Love you have a bountiful harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to the mountains. It is always beautiful this time of year. Planning a short trip this month and I can hardly wait. Still looking forward to reading your book about Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very special to see the wonders of God in creation. Truly, we are blessed to have these beautiful places all over this pretty state. Thank you for sharing it with us, Frieda. Love you, Carleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frieda,

    You have jogged so many memories of my time at Berry as a student. That campus is one of my most favorite places in the world.

    When I lived there, I spent many walks finding solitude in the beauty of the campus. I found meditation and prayer easy there as if walking "In the Garden." The Lord gave me direction and support as I grew into young adulthood.

    I have returned there many times for one of those walks. Fall is a glorious time to be there.

    Thank you for rekindling memories of such a blessed place.

    Joan M.



    ReplyDelete
  6. Our day in the mountains was a blessing to me. I had been longing to visit that area of God' Majestic Handiwork. What a joy it was to experience such beauty and the fun of sharing the events of the day with my good friend.

    ReplyDelete