Sunday, November 27, 2016

A Time for Everything



“There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens …” 
Ecclesiastes 3:1

The writer of those words in the Bible goes on to explain the joyful and tough events that can occur in the journey of a lifetime. Our Thanksgiving week 2016 was filled with so many life events, I experienced mental and emotional whiplash before the end.

A time to mourn:  One week before Thanksgiving, I boarded a plane to head to Western New York State to attend my brother’s funeral. I visited my brother, Jack, in May and knew it would be my last time with him. His passing was not a surprise and I am glad he is not suffering anymore. It was good to spend time with his extended family and cousins I hadn’t seen in years. 

A time to rejoice:  My annual check in with the liver transplant doctors was very encouraging. After 18 plus years, my liver is functioning better than anyone expected. I remain amazed at my second chance to enjoy a longer and productive life.

A time to feast:  It was a day to enjoy family members and a table-full of turkey and all the fixings with enough leftovers for the weekend. It always amazes me that women have energy after all the cooking and clean up to hit the Black Friday sales on Friday.  I did my shopping online. 

A time to celebrate:  My late bloomer husband’s birthday is always on Thanksgiving weekend. He received birthday cards and gifts and spent enough time with several of our children to make him not mind turning a year older. I’m very thankful that he continues in good health and can enjoy these later years of life.

A time to laugh: In the next few weeks our fourth great grandchild will be born.  Charles’ grandson Jesse and his wife will welcome their first boy after three girls. We laughed over some of the possible names they are considering for the little fella. I think they were teasing us and already have a great name picked out. 

A time to dance: My granddaughter said “Yes to the Dress” on Thanksgiving Day. Her family lives in Toronto, Canada and since they don’t celebrate the US holiday, they went wedding dress shopping. She’s been looking for months and finally found the right one. July 1, 2017 and that first dance seems more real than before.

What a week—A funeral, a potential wedding, a birthday, a future great grandson, a healthy report, and a national holiday. I am so thankful for the good health and the ability to participate in all these life changing events. 

The writer of Ecclesiastes sums it up in 3:11-12:


“He [God] has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live.”


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, joyful, yet sad time you've experienced. I'm sorry to hear of Jack's passing, but grateful for all the blessings taking place in your life. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frieda, thank you for this post. It is amazing how many things can happen to one person in one week's time. May God give you great comfort in this separation from your very own brother. God's love has not changed. May you draw from God's grace. We thank God for you, Frieda and Charles. Lovingly, Carleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of things going on. You always have a good attitude no matter what the situation. You are a very good example of how we all need to be. As always, I so enjoy your writing. Happy Birthday to Charles too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frieda, you have written a most moving blog. How good to know of your welcomed health report. What a blessing that is to your family and to your friends. You deftly describe the emotions associated with sadness and with anticipated joy. As always, I am refreshed after reading!

    ReplyDelete