Monday, June 8, 2015

19 Years & Counting

I’ve been waiting a long time to write this blog—nineteen years to be exact. Today my late bloomer husband and I celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. Almost to the exact hour 19 years ago we said our “I dos.”

It was the second marriage for both of us, and with my terminal illness, neither of us knew how many years of wedded bliss we would have. Charles reminds me that “love is deaf, dumb, and blind.”  In spite of the obstacles we both believed that God brought us together and so we chose to trust Him with our future. 

To celebrate we attended the Barry Manilow “One Last Time” concert last week. What a show and what a showman. He sang everything from his forty year music library. I have to admit that I expected his voice to not be as strong as it used to be.  Boy was I wrong; he hit all the right notes and never missed a beat.  He definitely “writes the songs that make the whole world sing.”

The next day we took time to smell the roses at Gibbs Gardens in Ball Ground, GA.  One thousand red and white knock out rose bushes were still at their peak. Their fragrance filled the air as we walked along the winding paths. It reminded me of June 1998 when we went to another garden five weeks after my liver transplant. With my limited stamina, I made the effort to walk a few hundred feet and sit on a bench. We were both determined to get out of the house and do something for our anniversary. I am blessed today to live a very normal life today.

A few months ago, our nine year old granddaughter, Belle, drew this picture of Charles and me for Grandparents’ Day. She copied it from a family photograph. I guess this is what anniversaries are all about. 
  
The Bible offers words of wisdom on how to keep a marriage strong in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
“Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;  it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. Love never ends.”

During our marriage ceremony, we played the song; “Grow old along with me. The best is yet to be. God bless our love.” Those words still ring true today.



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Frieda and Charles, on your 19th anniversary. Best wishes for many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to two of the cutest people I know! God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story and that picture is a nice caricature of you two. She did a great job. Happy Anniversary, two wonderful people finding each other later in life is a true blessing. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE to hear all of this account once again! You two are precious late bloomers.
    Carleen and Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Middle Sis finds it hard to believe that it's your 19th Anniversary! The years have flown! Congratulations and so glad Barry M. was still in great voice. Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary! Glad you enjoyed he concert. Even half-good with Barry would be great!!

    ReplyDelete