Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Life Without Regrets

Feeling sad or disappointed over a missed opportunity is not something any of us enjoy. We like to think we are “take charge” people who live life to the fullest. 

In the past month Charles and I have attended memorial services for two men who devoted their lives to church planting and spreading the Gospel. They lived their lives fulfilling the mission that God had given them. Their funerals were more like joyful celebrations.

Hospice nurse, Bronnie Ware is the author of the best-selling memoir, The Top Five Regrets of the Dying – A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing.  I recently saw a post from her on Facebook entitled The Top Five Regrets People Express on Their Deathbeds. She writes,

“For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home
to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to
         twelve weeks of their lives. People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality.”

Here are the five regrets she observed and paraphrased by me.

#5 – I wish I’d let myself be happier by embracing the moment and not being afraid of change.

#4 – I wish I had nurtured and maintained my relationships and not given in to the time thief that kept me from doing important things with family and friends.

#3 – I wish I had had the courage to express my feelings. I spent too much time stuffing my feelings and not speaking honestly.

#2 – I wish I had simplified my life and hadn’t worked so hard amassing possessions.

#1 – I wish I had lived a life true to myself and done more to fulfill my dreams.

When we lose our health, doing these five things is much more difficult if not impossible. I remember when I was so sick with liver disease and facing a transplant, all my energy went into surviving each day. I did have regrets and unfulfilled dreams (such as writing) and have been so thankful for a second chance to see my dreams come true.


I will add one more to the list above—one that we can do something about even when we are at the end of our life. When people are on their death beds, their minds turn to where they will spend eternity. If they are not sure of their relationship with God, that can cause a lot of anxiety and regrets. The good news is that it is never too late to find a right relationship with God. He is always waiting for us to come to Him, accept Jesus as our Savior, seek forgiveness for our sins, and experience His grace. That simple act of faith will provide the peace, joy, and love that comforts and grants life without regrets. 

8 comments:

  1. Good timing at this time in my life. I'm going to try to avoid the five regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, Frieda! These are powerful words that speak to everyone no matter their age or stage of life. We should use this to evaluate our lives. I feel that this is your best blog so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible wisdom here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an article posted to my locker while I was a student in dental hygiene. I don't know who wrote it but the thought has never left me: "Treat everyone you meet as if it is the last time you will ever see them". Frieda, the regrets above are those where we all fall short. Not picking up the phone to call someone, not accepting that invitation for a lunch with friends or family, etc. We can all evaluate ourselves against
    the regrets above.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep writing Frieda....Wonderful and you're right...it's never too late. Lolly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great reminder! Your Middle Sis will try to keep everyone of these in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are the most important things, you are so right. I think with age we realize that loving our family, friends and spouses are what is important. Spending time with them and giving in to the phone calls we don't think we have time for. How do we know if we will have another opportunity? If someone gets heavy on my mind or a visit with someone seems very important and urgent for no apparent reason, I try to act on it. Several times that instinct turned into a blessing and I was able to spend time with someone I cared about. I would have had serious regrets if I had ignored the call within. The voice of God prodding me. You are right. He is there waiting for us to talk to him, to seek his face. Keep writing Frieda, you certainly have a gift, and you bless many people with this blog.

    ReplyDelete